Monday, July 25, 2011

Post-weight-room musings

Today in the weight room, I was listening to the radio when a commercial for Ruffles potato chips came on.  Now, I like some potato chips, but the very thought of chili-cheese-flavor potato chips was mildly sickening, so I was definitely biased against this commercial.  But the main slogan was "Feed your face" and to use these chips to satisfy the hunger that "you can't explain."  I think this is so representative of our food culture in the US.  I mean, "feed your face" is a good phrase to describe what a lot of people do; they eat to trigger taste buds with artificial flavor enhancers, rather than seeing food as nourishment for the whole body.

And the whole idea of "hunger you can't explain," to me, describes eating for the sake of eating, not because you are physically hungry. Personally, I can always explain my actual hunger:  I've just run 4 miles or lifted weights or done capoeira or intense yoga or I simply haven't eaten for several hours.  If it's a "hunger I can't explain," I know it's not hunger.  It's boredom, or thirst, or fatigue, or hormones.  And I find some more appropriate way to satisfy it.

Anyway, now I'm drinking my morning smoothie.  I made another iced mocha for my pre-weights meal and I think the caffeine perked me up a bit.  Even the prospect of caffeine perked me up; I did my brief yoga practice before going to the gym this morning, even though I usually do it in the evening on lifting days.

2 comments:

  1. Great piece! The first time I saw that ad, I went on a rant. It's always nice to see I'm not alone. The number of aware people is actually growing, I think. JD (MoMR)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm also sad that that ad campaign is so widespread. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete